Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Where do you compare?

Hi all, as I mentioned in an earlier blog my topic for blog 2 is ‘Describe and explain the phenomenon of social comparison for self-enhancement. What is it and why does it occur? Include examples’. Since getting this topic I have been thinking of all the areas of my life where I engage in social comparison. We just sat our social exam and I realised that I was much less distracted by having almost everyone stay till the end. I find that in other exams I see people get up and leave the exam when I am only half way through. I compare myself to them and think ‘they must be really good and must have known the topic so well!’ I found that the exam we just sat was much less distracting because it was more difficult to compare to others timing.
So back to examples of social comparison….I work in a ladies clothing store, last weekend I observed a relevant interaction of social comparison. Two ladies stepped out of the change rooms wearing the same dress. They both laughed, then told each other they both looked good. I could see them eyeing each other up and down very purposefully though. The first lady walked out of the fitting room and said “no I won’t take it, it looked better on the other lady”. The second lady walked out, and said pretty much the same thing. After they had left I thought why does it matter what it looked like on the other person….it matters what it looks like on you……But isn’t this the same as comparing grades…why does it matter if your friend got a HD, what matters is YOU got a credit. I have two things I would like people to think about…first is there any social comparison that is necessary or a good thing…and second can people think of everyday examples where they see or engage in social comparison (especially for self enhancement)….. : )

1 comment:

Jess said...

Hi Rachel,
Interesting topic, I have often wondered whether comparing myself to someone else was damaging to my self-esteem but after doing social psychology (and reading the text book) I have learnt that not all social comparisons are bad, you just have compare yourself to the right people. I guess downward social comparison too make yourself feel good may be good in the short run but if you aim high and compare yourself against someone who is "better" than you, it may motivate or inspire you to achieve more?!
In a everyday sense, I know I compare myself to people when I’m out shopping (and see someone wearing something I want/have) at uni (when we get grades back) and at work (when others get praised/criticised for the work we do) do just name a few, I think it’s a natural thing to see someone and compare ourselves against them?